Sunday 21 October 2018

Red skinny jeans



I made these quite a while ago, but life happened and it's only now that I get the chance to write about it. Originally I was thinking of a 2018 Make Nine list for my shop Cotton Candy, but then found out that it's not practical, I want to make things spur of the moment as new fabrics come in for example...So after sewing 3 items from that list (these jeans, the simple top and a T-shirt dress coming out next spring as it's not weather appropriate in Norway right now) I decided to drop the list.



That said, I still want to sew all the items on that list, just without the time constraint I put myself in 😉. But enough about that, let's talk jeans!



I've used this pattern before, and was generally happy with the result, but some things weren't exactly as I wanted them to be and this time I did things a bit differently.

I'm a big fan of Mimi G and like many of her patterns, and chose to use one she designed for Simplicity: Simplicity 8222. It's a 2 in 1 pattern where you get skinny jeans and a bomber jacket. I haven't tried the jacket yet, but I like it very much so it's not impossible that it'll come later.


As before I went for Egyptian cotton, this time in the form of red stretch gabardine! The fabric has 3% Lycra giving it a bit of elasticity across the width. But for these trousers in particular the more stretch you have the better.

Yes, this one is not as easy as that simple summer top, there are more steps to go through to get it done. But is it difficult? No. I don't think so. It's just important to not rush through it, take it easy and enjoy the process 😊 Hope the video helps a bit 😉


I love the result! I think the trousers fit well and look good. They work well with different styles and colors. But...I'd have liked a bit more stretch. I mean I can do squats in them but moves more "extreme" than that are not comfortable. But will that mean I'll use them less that I'd have wanted to? Absolutely not! I use them often and love them.


At the end of my video, I styled them with:
  • The simple summer top and (very) old shoes from Puma.
  • My Tunisia blouse and the same shoes.
  • A top from Esprit and the same shoes.
  • My Star shirt and (guess what?) the same shoes.
  • A sweater knitted by my mom and Legero boots from Zalando.


Pattern: Simplicity 8222 B
Fabric: 97% Egyptian cotton, 3% Lycra stretch gabardine from cottoncandy.no
Photos taken at home in Asker, Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment