Thursday 28 June 2018

A bit of baby sewing


A few months ago, a little girl was born. This little beautiful girl happens to be my niece, and although I was already part of another gift for her christening, I couldn't resist sewing something as well.



The trousers are a very simple Burda kids pattern that I've made before for my nephew. It's one pattern piece that you cut on the fold twice, sew together and insert an elastic at the waist. I used cotton jersey for the front and for the back pocket (a detail I added), remnants from the top I made for a friend's daughter, and used the front of a gym t-shirt I didn't wear anymore for the back, this is a cotton/polyester/lycra mix.


The dress was a bit more involved than that. It's not difficult to sew but there's the piping around the neck pieces and pockets. I didn't have piping at hand, but I did have some cord remaining from that I used to make piping for my cat shirt, and some mint green cotton sateen remaining from a dress I made for my sister back when she was pregnant a couple of years ago. And I made my own piping the same way as for that cat shirt (like this).


The fabric I used for the dress is cotton, again remnant from another project: the baby jumper I made to match the top mentioned earlier. Then the finishing touch was the two cute buttons at the shoulders 😊, which I had left after this blouse. The piping and getting things neat enough around the neckline was the challenging bit here but other than that the sewing is pretty straight forward.


So what's extra cool about these two items? I bought absolutely zero items to make them, and instead got to use pieces from my stash and even do a bit of refashioning of an old garment! I feel good 😄.

Patterns: Trousers → Burda Style 11/2014 #132
                Dress → Burda Style 03/2017 #127
Fabric: Pink cotton jersey for the trousers front, turquoise woven cotton for the dress and cotton sateen for the piping from Stoff & Stil and an old Adidas T-shirt for the trousers back

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/7/18 01:39

    This is so adorable! I wouldn't know the first thing about piping. :) You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tessa! To be honest I don't find piping fun...but it looks really good on some garments so is so worth it :) And it's not that hard, you should give it a go one day ;)

      Delete
  2. Hello Maria, This is a very cute outfit! You are such an inspiration to every one!♥
    I have nominated you to The Mystery Blogger Award, http://www.ellensewing.com/2018/07/the-mystery-blogger-award_14.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellen! Wow! I've never been nominated for anything before :D Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete