Tuesday 24 April 2018

Fibers and beads - My latest crochet top


This was one of those items I talked about in my UFO post. This turned out into quite the mix of fibers! It all started with this warm colored sand linen and silk yarn. I bought it thinking I'd crochet a simple vest that is decorative more than anything else, the idea of the beads came at the same time and I fell for these tiger eye beads.



Then I thought a bit more about it and decided no. I won't use that vest much anyway and decided I'll make a top instead, and since I never learn (in a way), I designed this one myself as usual when I crochet.


The front pattern is not mine, that I saw in a book and really liked. It's the Spider webs design from The complete photo guide to crochet by Margaret Hubert. And decided to use it for the front.


The design is essentially two rectangles for front and back with a neck opening. Both start with 3 rows of double crochet in the linen/sand yarn, then the front is crocheted in "spider webs" in the same yarn and embellished with the tiger eye beads. The back is simple Tunisian crochet planned at first in this melange beige/purple linen/viscose mix, but unfortunately I ran out of it and it went out of production...but finally after almost 6 months of looking for something matching in color and not made of wool or other warm yarns, I found this purple cotton and finished the back with it giving it the appearance of a yoke. A nice unintentional design feature 😉.


When both front and back were finished, I stitched together the shoulder and side seams, then crocheted a row of double crochet in the same purple cotton around the neckline and armholes followed by a row of single crochet in the sand colored linen-silk. Et voila!


I love the result! Looking forward to using it loads in the coming months 😊


Pattern: Own design + Spider webs from The complete photo guide to crochet by Margaret Hubert
Yarn: I bought it so long ago, I don't really remember details, but I think the one I used for the front was called Lisette and was 65% linen/35% silk in the color Sand (it's a discontinued product).
          The melange yarn used for the bank is Stoff & Stil linen mix, approx. 70% viscose and 30% linen (again as far as I remember, this is another discontinued product).
          The plain purple in Linde garn - Ren Bomull in color 706 Purple from Nille.
Photos taken front of the Cotton Candy warehouse in Asker, Norway.


No comments:

Post a Comment