Sunday 2 April 2017

Jumpsuit in flowers

A.k.a "Sewing for others" collection - item 6 of 8. This is not the first time I use this pattern (for the sewing interested: It's Burda Style 4/2016 - Model 112).




The first time I sewed a version of it, I made it in a woven cotton batik fabric and made it culottes length instead of trouser length to use on the beach (More photos available here). It's really comfy and I've used it on every beach vacation since. The last one of these was with my family and my little sister loved it and wanted one. So the next time I was in Egypt I brought Stoff & Stil (the fabric shop) catalogue with me to Egypt and she chose this black jersey with flowers on.


Her requirements were trouser length and short sleeves, which wasn't difficult to achieve. For the sleeves I used the pattern I used for my last winter project.

Although sewing a jumpsuit is like sewing two projects in one - a blouse and trousers, it wasn't a difficult process. First was to assemble the front made of 4 pieces. And finish the 3 slits (center and sides).


Then make the front pleats, sew the two back pieces at the shoulders and sides, sew the sleeve seams, hem the sleeves and set them in.


At this point it was time to move to the trousers part: Here I folded the 3 pleats on each side front in place, stitched the darts on the back pieces, stitched side seams and inserted in-seam pockets.


Then I got engrossed in the process and forgot to take more details pictures 😇 But what happened next was to sew the inner leg seam and ~10cm of the center front seam of the trousers. Then I took the waistband pieces and applied interfacing to them. And since this fabric is very elastic, I cut the inner waistband pieces from a lining fabric that doesn't have any stretch (to keep the garment in place when worn 😉), sewed the side seams on both outer and inner waistband, then basted them together and sewed them to the trousers.
It is now the zipper made an appearance and got installed 😃 After which the rest of the crotch seam was done.


This is were the blouse and trousers stop existing and the jumpsuit as an entity appears! I gathered the blouse (or bodice if you want to call it that) and sewed it to the waistband. Then finished the back openings.











Then came the finishing of the neckline, making of the tie band and inserting/sewing it in place. And last hemming the legs.


It turned out even cooler than expected if you ask me 😍

Check my BurdaStyle project page for more pictures on this jumpsuit.

I finished this yesterday which meant I had a lot of weekend left to start on a new project. But Silje's dress (mentioned in my last post) has been staring me in the face the whole last week and I've already decided that I'll buy some extra fabric to fix the situation. I've been to 4 different stores including the one she bought the fabric from before I could find anything that matched in color, but it was satin, not viscose, so it looks a bit different but hey! we call it a design feature. So I got that done and out of the way today.


You see the difference? No? Good! 😃
It's actually a strip of satin on the sides.


I've also got a bag of like 5 dresses and a jacket from another friend to shorten, so I did one of those dresses as well, shortened it and made a split at the left side.

Now I'll just finish the evening with some cross-stitching in front of the TV before calling it a day and hitting the bed. Next project from the Sewing for others collection to start next weekend 👍

2 comments:

  1. I love the jumpsuit you made, what a wonderful thing to give to someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! I like sewing for others every now and then, even though I am missing sewing for myself by now :D

      Delete