Saturday 7 April 2018

Cotton twill coluttes


While my shirt dress stood on hold waiting for the right belt buckle (and some more final touches), I started on my second item from my 2018 Make Nine list: The twill culottes.




Unlike the "maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't" attitude I had towards the shirt dress pattern, these were a definite from the beginning. I saw them, I loved them, I bought fabric and zipper...unfortunately to lie in stash for a year and a half being overtaken by other sewing projects that to my defense were needed at the time due to weddings with color themes, babies being born, etc...But now I finally made them and very happy I did.


I had my doubts about pattern on model vs. pattern on normal height/size person a.k.a me. Would this short, rather straight culottes pattern look ridiculous on someone with my hips for example? I don't know what you think, but I love them on me. Given the minus degrees outside, I had to style them a bit "wintery" for the photos, but the ultimate plan is to use them with espadrillos or sandals, t-shirts and bare legs when the temperature allows 😊.


I used a stripy yarn dyed medium weight cotton twill that feels a bit like denim, in a subtle white and greyish light blue colorway. I loved it because it was so simple, and I knew it'd go with all kind of colors. I also got a crush on roughish looking fabrics like this and chambray a while ago, and it's not going away 😄.


I decided to use the stripes vertically for the legs and horizontally for the front and back yokes. I also really missed pockets here, so I added in-seam pockets in the back. Since the yoke is so wide, the placement turned out perfect. No alterations to the pattern other than this little addition. And I love the shape of that front yoke.


I finally got to try out my invisible zipper foot (that I got for Christmas from my husband) in action. My sewing life had just changed! It's been a pain and a slight disappointment to install invisible zippers before. This one was not less painful, I have to admit. As usual, I had to unpick the second half like three times before I got it aligned to an acceptable standard. But a disappointment was it not! Not at all! It's actually invisible! Look! 😍


The garment isn't flawless, but I'm learning. And as long as others don't notice, I don't care. I love my new super versatile culottes and looking forward to using them loads this summer. And since it's a Burda pattern and the fabric has been in my stash for a couple of years now, it also qualifies for #burdachallenge2018 and #makeyourstash 👍


Pattern: Burda Style 05/2016 #110
Fabric: 100% Cotton Twill from Stoff og Stil
Photos taken (again) in front of my Cotton Candy warehouse (www.cottoncandy.no)


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. Great job. I like your subtle stripe fabric much batter than the candy cane Burda mdel. Your rear inseam pockets are a nice fix for the pattern omission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karey :) I do like a bold bright fabric in general, but I do like something simple every now and then, this one was pretty much love at first sight :)

      Delete
  2. Very lovely! The fabric matches the pattern. I would love to make my coluttes for the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eli! These are only my second pair, but I used my first so much after I made it, I'm totally in love with culottes for summer :)

      Delete
  3. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort
    ריצ'רד טוויל

    ReplyDelete