Sunday 26 November 2017

Cool wool trousers


This was one of those spur of the moment projects. As a lot of you know already I'm working on starting a little business selling fabric online.




Last October I took a trip to Egypt to meet some of my potential suppliers and maybe find more suppliers and on one occasion walked into a wool fabrics factory. It turns out they have a factory outlet and they sell some really good stuff there including a lot of delightful soft 100% wool fabrics. And who am I to resist! I bought myself a meter and a half with the plan to make trousers. Classic cigarette trousers.


But how often do I actually go ahead with the original plan I had in mind for the fabric? So when I finally took the fabric out to make those trousers, I changed my mind and went for these wide ones instead.


I was a bit worried about using this pattern because let's admit it: It doesn't look great on the models. The pleats are kind of too far to the sides giving it a weird shape. But I followed my experience and trusted the technical drawing which looked great.


Normally I'd grade from a size 38 at the waist to 40 at the hips, but decided to just go a full 38 on this one as it's a wide model and again previous experience with Burda patterns showed me that I fit nicely into wide 38.


I followed the instructions more or less exactly, the only thing I did differently was to cut the back pocket flaps and the bands for the bottom of the legs on the bias just to rotate the lines of the pattern by 45 degrees and add a little something to the look, and I did not regret it. There are a few places were I didn't line the pattern up as much as I wanted to (the waistband 😔), but it's not very visible so I'm not too sad about that.


The fabric is gorgeous! It's light but warm and cozy at the same time, great to work with and looks far from cheap (it wasn't that cheap anyway). This is quality suiting fabric that I really liked and will be using again (and also offering in my shop for you to use. Yes, I made a deal with that factory for my shop 😁).


Pattern: Burda Style 10/2015 #105C
Fabric: 100% wool suiting fabric from Golden Tex
Photos taken at home in Asker, Norway

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pants and a great fit. And great advertisement for selling the fabric in your shop! Best wishes for your success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for both the compliment and the wishes! And good to see this can be a good way to advertise my fabric :)

      Delete