Plus I already inherited husband's grandmother's sewing machine, which although bought in 1964 is running like a champion (her lack of skill for sewing might have something to do with that :D).
And I've been putting up my finished projects, not on my blog, but on a sweing site/forum, which might have something to do with self-consciousness, or that it's a way too girly hobby, or I don't know...a sort of transition period between "this is too girly" and "It's cool to be wearing something I made myself AND getting complimented on it".
|How it was|
I've never been to a loppemarked (flea market) before this time, but with my creativity sensors set to max, I was set on a mission: See treasures in trash...and challenge myself to actually do the transformation.
|Ripped apart and transformed into new pattern pieces|
The good thing about this is that I went into this with a very relaxed state of mind. If I damage it, it's OK, it costed me only 40 kroner. I think I can live with that...And it did start OK, I found a pattern for a vest that I thought would fit into the different bits of the jacket...I managed to successfully rip the jacket apart without damaging any pieces, although that proved a very boring job!...Only one of my pattern pieces didn't fit on one piece of leather so it became two pattern pieces and that went OK.
|The usual mess :D|
Thankfully it went well, and although some innovation (read laziness induced cheating) was involved, the end result isn't bad. As with almost every new project, there were lessons learned. I even got an unintentional compliment from my husband :D "wow, you even managed to reuse some of the stitching!", I did not, every stitch on this vest is made by moi :)
|The end result...|
Whether I'll be wearing it or not is yet to be decided, but I consider this a successful refashion experiment :)
P.S. If there's an interest in past projects, there's a little link on the right side of my blog ;)
P.P.S. I got rather frustrated with the amount of work required for this vest, that I made myself a skirt right after, using a simple pattern and just a few hours of work (the one in the first picture here)